Happy Halloween!

Happy Halloween!

As Halloween approaches, we would like to remind all pet owners that there are some precautions you may want to take with your furry family members. The most common are chocolate,candy overindulgence, raisins, candy wrappers, glow sticks, costumes and candles.

 If you think your dog may have ingested chocolate, signs to watch for include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy,  agitation, increased thirst, an elevated heart rate, and in severe cases, seizures. Candy and other sweet foods – especially those containing poisonous xylitol – can also be poisonous to pets. Some dogs really enjoy chewing on foreign objects, so be extra vigilant as costume bits and candy wrappers can cause potentially fatal bowel obstructions.

Raisins deserve a special mention as dogs can experience kidney failure after ingesting very small amounts (including similar products with grapes and currants too).

Also, before thinking about dying or coloring your pet’s fur, consult with your veterinarian, as some products can be very harmful to pets, even if it’s labeled non-toxic to humans. If you would like more information, please see the link below for the Pet Poison Helpline website.

 http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/2012/10/pet-poison-helpline-warns-pet-owners-about-halloween-dangers/

Stop by to see our wonderful Halloween window art painted by Melody, one of our Registered Animal Health Technologists!

 

Comments are closed.