Baby Products Not Safe for Furbabies

Baby Products Not Safe for Furbabies

toy

There are many products that are baby safe but if ingested by a pet it can be toxic. Here are some more common ones to look out for.

Disposable Diapers

  • They contain sodium polyacrylate which is super absorbent and can present a foreign body risk.

Baby Toys

  • Most baby toys are made to be put in mouths. Pets can ingest these toys and they may have to be surgically removed.

Zinc Oxide

  • Diaper rash crème that contains zinc oxide is harmful if ingested by pets. It is a strong gastric irritant.

Pacifiers

  • These are a foreign body risk and tend to stay in the stomach for a long time.

Sugar Free Multivitamins

  • These products can contain Xylitol. Xylitol stimulates insulin release from the pancreas and dogs are particularly sensitive.

Talcum Powder

  • Corn starch is generally benign but talc can cause an inhalation hazard.

Acetaminophen and Ibuprofen

  • These infant drops are designed to be tasty but small doses can be toxic for pets.

Vitamin D Drops

  • Vitamin D causes an increase of calcium and phosphorous in the blood levels. Cats, puppies and kittens are more sensitive than adult dogs.

 

If your pet has consumed any of these products it’s best to call our clinic to speak with a veterinary care provider.

Comments are closed.